Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Being faithful in the little things....

I just read about the life of Betty Olsen who was a missionary nurse that traveled to Vietnam during the war. That in and of itself is amazing, right? But, what was most amazing about her is that she was captured, mistreated, and yet all the while she tended to the other captives, shared Christ with them, and then with her dying words told her captives of her and God's love for them...no matter that they had tortured and killed her. Stinkin' AMAZING, right?

I struggle a little in reading that because I feel like what I do each and every day will never amount to much for the Lord. I haven't been called to some war torn remote village (yet), I haven't been taken captive (even if some days I feel trapped by the world's demands), and I don't have any true enemies to speak of (although I am a pain in the #@& and I'm sure I'm often not people's favorite or have let them down). I want so desperately to leave a handprint on this world...not for my glory, but for HIS! I want my life to be story-worthy...again, not with my name attached. It could just be that someone writes, "Once there was this woman...". I just want to make a difference. I know, I know...I have been called to the high honor of motherhood, and being a wife. And I do consider that a blessing. I want to disciple my children and love on my hubs. Truly!

But, is that enough? Believe me, I'm not asking to be malnourished with leeches hanging from my legs....but, I do want to use all that I am. And, the sigh of relief comes for me when I finally get it...that's all Nurse Betty wanted too. She didn't set out to be a martyr for the faith. She set out to be faithful in the small things. She obeyed the call to become a nurse, which led her to a job, that led her to a church, that led her to a ministry, that led her to Vietnam, etc.

So, today I suppose I will obey the call to spend time with the Lord, look for ways to serve my family, reach out to love others in my life, and pray that today He would teach me a little more about living my life in light of my faith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister. beautiful words from a more beautiful heart. i love you. ~al

Cori said...

Karen, you leave a handprint on every life you touch. You are an inspiration to me, and you did not even know that did you? He uses you when you don't know it, and there will be echoes of you in the lives of your great-great grandchildren because of the heart-work you so tenderly do day by day within your own home. Love you!!!