Monday, June 29, 2009

Meet-n-Greet Monday

So today I've decided that I want to introduce you to my sister, Melanie. Here she is last Christmas with her youngest, Will.



I like to call her "Felony"...but to be honest, I can't remember why? Alas...she is my older sister by 2 1/2 years. She is insanely funny (albeit inappropriately so at times), beautiful, easy to be with, kind and compassionate, generous, and very intelligent. She is the wife of a cop (Jeff), and mother to 4 (Jack (7 1/2), Ella-Kathryn (almost 5), Will (21+ months), and baby boy Simpson due 9.9.09.

As with all siblings, there once was a time when we were not friends. In fact, the story goes that when I was brought home from the hospital, Mel developed a limp in order to maintain her normal level of attention. From there she began to stuff my onesie, footie pjs full of toys (while on me), zip them up, and mercilessly roll me around on all the sharp edges. Can you say ANGER? I'd like to say that with age and time things got better....but, as you can imagine I only became more annoying to her as I was able to talk and bug her....something I'm sure I did well since my nickname from my Daddy was "Bugaloo"! This pattern pretty much continued on well into college. We were able to be around one another a bit more then, but our friendship didn't truly begin until 12 years ago. It was forged by some difficult circumstances in Mel's life, and we'll just leave it at that.

Since that time, 12 years ago we've both grown in our walks with the Lord, married, had children, and lost our Mom. Of course there is much more...but those are the biggies. She is now one of my dearest friends. We are very different, and yet similar. We sing in the same tone. We apparently sound alike on the phone....enough so even that my hubs can't tell us apart. We both are sighers. We both snort when we laugh. We both have a droopy eye. We can't sit together through church, a movie, or anywhere without giggling and getting in trouble. We are incredible at our version of "name that tune" where you snort the song quietly while lying in bed at night during sleepovers.

Oh, and there is so much more. She is a incredible writer, cook, wife, mother, Bible study leader, and friend. She's got a great eye for humor, a good magazine, decorating, interesting tv shows, and well...candy. You can't meet her without absolutely LOVING her! Lucky for me...I get to call her sister AND friend. Love you, Mel!

No comments: