Monday, February 28, 2011

Veggin' Out

Okay, so I'm going to start another aspect of my health journey....transitioning to more of a plant-based/vegetarian diet. My family and I have made the move to mostly chicken with the occasional pork, turkey, and fish mixed in. I think it's been a stretch for my meat-eating husband, but the kids don't mind at all as they are not huge fans of meat anyway.

For Christmas I got a juicer and have LOVED the ability to get in more veggies that way. I naturally love veggies, but find that eating more would be challenging w/o juicing and/or subbing them in place of other foods. Hence the move to eating more of a plant-based diet. My plan is to work this in to my day, minus dinner, since I still want to feed the husband's appetite. Maybe in time I'll convince him.

So, far I've been pulling most of my ideas from www.peasandthankyou.com, a great blog! This week we made her black bean burgers, carrot fries, and roasted chick peas! All were a HIT with me and the kids. Chad liked each of them "fine" or "okay", so I think he'd get used to it over time. I think he truly liked the chick peas, which make a great snack, salad topper, or addition to any dish for texture and flavor purposes.

Here are a few pics:
This was lunch today. Juice: spinach, carrots, and apple. Salad: romaine, cucumber, cilantro, and garlic/herb dressing. Veggie Bowl: mushrooms, cabbage, onion, and roasted chick peas.


Here are the Lemon Rosemary roasted chick peas right after they cooked.


And this was lunch from a few days ago...black bean burger w/a little swiss and mushrooms, edaname beans, and carrot fries.


1 comment:

Erin said...

come be my chef. That is all I gotta say.