Thursday, April 16, 2009

Unlocking the mystery....

So my sister is at her ultrasound right now finding out what #4 will be...boy or girl. I asked my 4 year old, eWe, what she thought it would be. She said "girl" and that they should call her "flower". I think if my sis gets a girl she'll be happy to name it just about anything:) (her boys have been more difficult than her girl thus far). Anyway, so eWe wanted to know how they could see the baby inside her aunt. So, we talked about the ultrasound a little. Then the convo went like this:

eWe: Mom, how can they tell it's a girl or a boy?
me: Well, what is different about a boy and a girl?
eWe: A boy's hair is shorter.
me: So you mean if I cut your hair you'd be a boy?
eWe: Noooooooooo, Mom. I'd still have my eWe face.
me: Okay, what else is different about boys and girls?
eWe: Ummm...boys wear "car" clothes.
me: Well, if I put a "car" shirt on you would you be a boy?
eWe: Noooooooooooooo, Mom.
me: Besides, eWe...babies don't wear clothes before they are born, and some don't have hair.
eWe: Oh, I got it (very serious about her discovery)...girls like pink flowers and boys like orange flowers.
me: eWe...the baby doesn't have any flowers in your aunt's "belly" and it can't talk to tell us it's preferences. Besides, I like orange flowers...am I a boy?
eWe: Noooooooooooo, Mom!
me: eWe, what do you and your brother have that is different from one another that makes you a girl and him a boy?
eWe: I don't know....toys?
(oh my gracious, we are getting no where! but I sure am cracking up!)
me: I want you to think about boys and girls' bodies...what's different?
eWe: Ummm...that our birthdays are not the same?
me: Huh? Where is your brain?
eWe: Hold on, I'm going to go get it and get it ready.
me: Oh my! Okay, last try...what is different about little man's body?
eWe: Think, think, think...I don't know...that I'm bigger than him and have tan skin?
me: No eWe!
eWe: okay, no more thinking. I'm not doing any more and I'm not going to pay attention.
me: Okay last question (i know, i know...i said that already). What do you and little man do differently to go potty?
(the light bulb goes off...finally! too funny!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love her comment about tan skin. just yesterday, out of the blue, C asked me if Emily was brown (aka African American) How funny. I love that she calls African Americans brown people. ~al